Tuesday 3 December 2013

A Vintage Quilt : :

Mr Handsome loves his mum. He treats her like a queen! (Which is one the the things that I really love about him, because that's how he treats me too).

He wants to give her something special for Christmas this year, so he asked me if I would make her a quilt.

He had a look though my quilting patterns and magazines, and we picked one out of my currently-favorite book, 'Simply Retro'.

I have made two quilts from this book so far, and I just love the patterns!



We decided to use the pattern 'Vintage'. This pattern makes a quilt that is big enough for a twin bed! I didn't have that much time (or fabric), so I decided to scale it down. I naively thought that I could just decrease every measurement by 1 1/2 inches to make the quilt smaller. Erm.....WRONG!!

That plan soooo did not work! After getting frustrated, I had to sit down with a pen, paper, and calculator and figure it all out.
It took some work, but I effectively turned the pattern into a jelly roll quilt!
I don't know if that means I can pass this pattern off as my own now...(probably not)....but I'm really happy with it! I am getting a little bit tired of really large blocks, so it was a refreshing change to make some 'normal' sized ones.

Enough chit, chat....here is my quilt!



I used the fabric line 'Winters Lane', from Moda. Its supposed to be Christmas fabric, but I think its non-christmasy enough to use all year round. I really like the mix of blue, red and grey.


The background fabric is Kona Snow, which I think matches perfectly with winters lane.
I backed it in a vintage-looking cotton that I got from spotlight, and bound it in a solid red.



Once I got over the measurement/planning stage, this quilt was really fun to put together (although, I wont lie, it DID take me a long time).

All that's left is to label the quilt, then wrap it up for Christmas morning. I hope my mother-in-law likes it!


(This is me trying to be artistic at a park near the beach! I really liked the rope and I wanted to get a photo with it!)

We are spending Christmas is Mr Handsome's family this year, which we do every other year. He has so many Aunts, Uncles and cousins, that even after 5 1/2 years of being married, I still haven't met everyone! (and I have NO CHANCE of remembering names), but it should be a lot of fun, and I'm glad my kids will have a zillion cousins to play with!

Jessica




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you :)