Wednesday 14 August 2013

Minky dust

A few months ago one of the mums at little miss E and I's kindergarten was expecting a baby! She was due any tick of the clock and having a hard time, especially with her two little ones.

So I decided to make her something (that's my answer to everything! Having a hard day? Here, let me make something for you). Its also really nice to have something handmade for a brand new bub,I loved receiving handmade items when I was expecting.

I played around with the idea of making her a quilt, but decided against it. I didn't have the time or motivation (I know! The very idea of me not wanting to quilt is hard to get your head around, but it did happen! Right after I made my sister in law, Susan, a quilt. But that's a story for another day).

So as i didn't want to sew clothes I decided on a toy!
I've had this book, Storybook Toys, by Jill Hamor, sitting on my self for a while now, and I hadn't made anything from it. I decided I needed to rectify that quick-smart!




This book is amazing!! If you are looking for the most stunning dolls in-the-entire-world, then this is the book for you! Its full of vintage 1940's inspired patterns and the instructions are so easy to follow.

As well as dolls, there are other toy patterns, including this adorable Cottontail bunny! (isn't he sweet?)




As soon as I saw him I knew he would be an adorable baby gift so I raided my stash and found the perfect bunny material!





The cream coloured material is rosebud minky, and the white is a cuddle minky. The rosebud minky is so lush! Its unbelievably soft, (believe me, you cant imagine just how soft until you feel it!) and the way the minky fibres form little roses is adorable! Perfect for a newborn babies toy!

So one night, after the kids went to bed, I traced the pattern and started cutting. That's when things got really bad!

I had never used minky fabric for anything, and what I didn't realise is that when you cut it, the fibres go absolutely EVERYWHERE, and the rosebud minky was the worst!

The fibres were in my mouth, nose, and eyes, all over my clothes, and lets not mention the kitchen! Seriously, the air was full of tiny little minky fibres. I was sitting in a Minky dust cloud! It was so bad that I swore I would never use that fabric ever again! (However I did change my mind after I saw the end result).
I have since been told that when cutting minky fabric one should wear a mask. So if your planning on using it, my number one tip would be to get one before you even THINK about touching those scissors! (and a pair of goggles probably wouldn't go astray either!)

I found once I had cut it, and got rid of the loose strands of minky from the raw edge (and had a shower), it became bearable.
The pattern on the other hand was a dream to use. Clear diagrams and instructions, and so quick. I whipped it up in one evening (minus the stuffing).

The next day, little miss I woke up with a terribly sore throat! Poor little thing had tonsillitis. When she saw the nearly finished rabbit, she loved it. She wanted to hold it and play with it, and was so miserable and sore, that I gave it to her (so much for my friend at kinder!).

I took her out to the local craft store and let her pick the eyes and the ribbon for its neck, then we came home and I sewed it all up for her. She loved it, and loves it still.





The only things I will do better is the nose (you can hardly see it on this bunny!), and its head was a little misshapen. (But that just adds to its charm right?) I also want to try this pattern using Chinelle.




Here is another picture of it with some Sarah Jane Fabric, because everything looks better with a sweet pile of Sarah Jane fabric! :)

Until next time!

Jessica






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you :)