Wednesday 1 July 2015

Oliver + S Library Dress : :

It's been a while since I made Little Miss I a new dress, and her dresses seem to be rapidly shrinking in the wash...or is she really growing that fast?

I decided to make her an Oliver + S Library Dress. I know I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again....but I LOVE Oliver + S patterns. They are the best!! The whole time I was sewing this dress I was thinking "I'm such a good sewer!" "look at this, its amazing"...yup sewing with Oliver + S is definitely a confidence booster because their patterns create such professional results!! (You can see my other Oliver + S makes here, here, here, here, here and here)


Oliver + S Library Dress


I had stashed away some lovely Tilda fabric that my local craft store stocks. Its so pretty and feminine. I used it for the main part of the dress, the waist band was just another random fabric that I found.


IMG_1327

I made version B with the long sleeves (because we are currently in the depths of an Australia winder (ie. its cold with the sun shining!), and I omitted the pipping option because I wanted a 'classier' dress......and because, lets face it, piping is extra work, and I'm lazy :)

I didn't realise it until Little Miss I put it on, but it kinda reminds me of a kimono? Ha ha, I'm sure that is what its meant to look like, and I'm just a bit slow on the uptake.
I'd love to get some authentic Japanese fabric to use for this pattern.....or maybe even some quirky, fun Japanese fabric...hmmmm, decisions, decisions.

IMG_1329

 I love that sleeve detail!

The only thing I changed from the pattern, was I used more buttons than the pattern stated. I only did that because I didn't have any 1/2 inch buttons on hand, and Little Miss I picked out these lovely little pink buttons with the silver detail.

Little Miss I and I spend about 5 mins trying to figure out what the picture on the buttons was? I thought it was someone riding a horse, and if you turn it around, Little Miss I thought it was someone stabbing something!? I decided a man riding a horse was the safer bet, so that's the way I sewed them!

IMG_1331

I decided to position them a little more close together, and continue all the way to the bottom of the dress. It reminded me of a wedding dress with all those small buttons.


Oliver + S Library Dress Back


Little Miss I is 6, but I made a size 8, only for the length. I wanted it to be below her knee...I have a real thing about wearing clothes below the knee.


When I make it again, I will definitely make it in a smaller size, because all my kiddos are quite slender, and just use a size 8 back lining, and lengthen the skirt pieces to get the length I need to satisfy my prude-ness. More is definitely more in regards to clothing :)

I'm so so happy with how it turned out. Its so cute, and to say Little Miss I loves it is a huge understatement!!


IMG_1346


Now I have to make another dress for Little Miss E, because her clothes seem to be shrinking too......that's one of the things about having twins....I need double of everything!! I'm thinking of maybe making a Garden Party Dress for her??

Jessica


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you :)