Friday 6 September 2013

Summer Skirt

I've had my eye on a sewing tutorial on Pinterest for a while now. Its a really cute skirt pattern. You can check it out here. Ive been wanting to make one for a while, but I hadn't seen any nice fabric (I hadnt really been looking either, but thats beside the point).
But when I went into my local craft store yesterday to get some thread, I saw the cutest fabric on sale! 
It asked me if it could be a skirt, so I obliged and took it home. 





A few hours later and Viola! Skirt!




This skirt was so simple. To be honest, I started following the tutorial, but realised it wasn't exactly what I wanted, and it is such an easy skirt I ditched the tutorial and made it myself.

I decided to add a lace trim to the hem, because everything looks better with lace :) In the above photo, I've tied the sash a bit tighter so I could wear the skirt higher up my waist, but it can also be worn on my hips too.




I wore this skirt for the first time last night, and I'm not completely happy with it. I had trouble seeing where to hem it, (*hint hint* I'd LOVE a manikin!) and it ended up just a little too long for my liking. I like my skirts to sit just below my knee, and this one sits about 1-2 inches too long. Fussy much?





So I'm going to modify is slightly. I'm going to cut off the lace, and some fabric, then hem the skirt, then sew the lace panel on underneath, so it is like a ruffle. Make sense? No.
Well Ill fix it up in the coming days, and post what I did.

Overall I'm not completely convinced. I might try to fix it, or I might chop it up into something else.

Well, I've got to get back to work. When I stop rowing, the slave ship just goes in circles.

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you :)